Information about the
Great Central Railway Society
Who are we?
The Great Central Railway Society (GCRS) exists to promote an historical interest in the Great Central Railway (GCR) which existed until the Grouping of 1923 when it became
part of the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER). We are often confused with the heritage railway operation at Loughborough which is called
The Great Central Railway.
To achieve its aims the Society
- produces a quarterly journal 'Forward' which is sent to all members,
- holds an archive of material related to the GCR at Immingham Museum,
- provides a forum for answering queries regarding the GCR,
- arranges meetings for all members twice a year - the AGM in April/May and an Autumn meeting in October,
- supports and publicises local railway societies where members are involved at Sheffield, Cleethorpes, Lutterworth, Northwich and central London (King's Cross),
- has restored and resited the GCR War Memorial at Sheffield Victoria along with the production of a Roll of Honour,
- encourages co-operation between all groups with an interest in GCR heritage.
The Society was formed in 1974 when a small group of like-minded people held a meeting in London.
Since then the membership has grown to around 500.
The Society is financed by members' subscriptions and by the sale of books and magazines donated to the society.
The annual subscription is £16(UK), £21(Europe) or £24(worldwide).
The Society is run by the officers (chairman, secretary and treasurer) and a committee who are elected at the Annual General Meeting.
How can I join?
Applications for membership can be made by printing off the application form, filling it in and sending it to the Membership Secretary.
This can be done EITHER by post (to Eric Latusek, 41 Spire Hollin, Glossop, Derbyshire SK13 7BJ) along with a cheque (payable to 'GCRS') OR by sending
a scan (to firstname.lastname@example.org) and using PayPal (payable to email@example.com) to pay the subscription. Please include your name in the PayPal message.
If a currency conversion is required, a fee will be charged by PayPal.
If you require further details regarding membership, the Membership Secretary can be contacted
If you want to give feedback about this web site can you can contact the web master.